Latest topics
» Current casts available for sale
by forcefull1 Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:24 pm

» About the O-ring Warriors Nation (O.W.N.)
by Rambo Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:27 pm

» THE list of ALL non-production ARAH-style body parts
by forcefull1 Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:57 pm

» Unmasked Jinx head
by forcefull1 Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:03 am

» Interest in cast heads?
by Rambo Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:02 am

» P:ARAH Predator heads: Poncho, Dillon, Hawkins
by Rambo Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:00 am

» Future head commission ideas
by LIVEVIL Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:14 pm

» Head commission May 2017
by forcefull1 Sat May 27, 2017 8:36 am

» Cover Girl / Dr Knox/ Crimson Asp, Falcon w/ bandanna, & comic pack Dragonsky
by forcefull1 Sun May 07, 2017 8:45 am

Hi everyone

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi everyone

Post by Wowboy on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 am

I had no idea this forum existed until just a few days ago and I noticed a link in a signature on Joecustoms. For me, the entire online Joe community pretty much begins and ends with JC. I've been a member there for more than 15 years. I have nothing but love for the site, but there has been a trend towards the modern joes for the past few years.

Don't get me wrong, I think the work people do with the modern figures is spectacular and I love seeing it, but the whole modern design has left me cold. To me, the cons of modern figures outweigh the pros, and I've always felt that RAH styled figures remain the pinnacle of action figure design.

I'm glad to see a group of people out there that agree, and I'm even more excited about the pieces you guys are commissioning for Angel Forge. I would love to have the opportunity to work with all new RAH pieces.

Anyways, I look forward to contributing!

Wowboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi everyone

Post by LIVEVIL on Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:27 pm

Hey Wowboy! Twisted Evil

Glad to see you coming aboard. Welcome to OWN!

What I think would be a good idea is to reintroduce yourself here with pics of some of your awesome past work. It is always great when you can look back and still be inspired. I remember how impressed I was with your custom of Zap and your take on other joes, as well as your original characters. I would also love to see your cool dio-story with your customs again.

I'll see you around, my friend...
LIVEVIL

View user profile http://www.joecustoms.com/userops/profile.php?uid=12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:45 pm

Glad to see another O-ring brother joining us in this adventure. Please share your customs with us and feel free to invite other brothers to join us

G.I. JOE ARAH DON'T DIE, IT JUST RELOADS
Rambo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wowboy on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:34 am

LIVEVIL wrote:Hey Wowboy! Twisted Evil

Glad to see you coming aboard. Welcome to OWN!

What I think would be a good idea is to reintroduce yourself here with pics of some of your awesome past work. It is always great when you can look back and still be inspired. I remember how impressed I was with your custom of Zap and your take on other joes, as well as your original characters. I would also love to see your cool dio-story with your customs again.

I'll see you around, my friend...

Sometimes it's hard to believe that it's been nearly 15 years since my own personal customizing "golden age." In those days, I could sit down on a weekend and crank out a couple of figures pretty easily, sometimes doing as many as a dozen at a time.

The dio story is kind of a love/hate relationship with me. I loved doing it and am quite proud of what I did, but due to circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to finish in a timely manner. Now, after a tornado blew off the roof of my house and devastated my collection (the joe room was upstairs) and I had to sell off a lot of the surviving pieces to pay for doctor's bills, I don't even have the necessary pieces to finish the story. This has always been a sort of embarrassment for me. I don't like leaving things unfinished, and it's why I let my website get taken down.

The good news is that I'm in a much better place. My career has taken off, we don't live in tornado alley anymore, and I'm building a new house. I'm really hoping to be able to sit down and actually finish more of the WIPs that have been sitting in my box for 10+ years. It was immensely satisfying to take some time to finish that Cobra Mortal custom last year, and I want to do more Smile

Wowboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyko on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:37 am

Glad to hear things are much better for you! JoeCustoms is truly the place, but I've never been able to find my groove in the Community. There were a lot of superhero customs when I joined, so maybe that and the modern Joe figures (which I don't officially collect) kept me lurking. I'd like to find a way we could align ourselves with JC so it doesn't seem like we're not "another forum to join" but more like a cousin that you go visit when you want to talk O-ring figures.
cyko
Admin

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/43512778@N07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo on Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:12 pm

It's nice to hear you are doing great Smile
Would you like to share here pictures of your WIPs?

G.I. JOE ARAH DON'T DIE, IT JUST RELOADS
Rambo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wowboy on Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:40 pm

Sorry it took forever and a day to follow up on this, but the process of building the house took it out of me. Add in an immensely hectic work schedule, the birth of my son, and I just haven't had a lot of free time.

However, after completing my last contract with the DoD, I am officially retired from defense contracting. It's just too much work for a guy like me who also has to go to the doctor a lot. With my wife's massive promotion and spike in income, we may have a bit of a decrease in discretionary spending with me out of work, but it will be worth it in the long run if I can focus on health. I'm also updating my academic portfolio so I can get back into teaching at the University level.

Anyways, we moved into the house and I've been slowly getting my collection out. I hope to start on some customs pretty soon... maybe after the little boy is more weaned and is old enough to go to day care. I did find some old images on my hard drive...

This is an early custom of mine... an original character I always called "The Sheik." A lot of you probably recognize the old Remco parts as the head and torso are from the original Remco figure. I remember getting this guy when I was a kid and he instantly joined up with Cobra often acting as a mercenary partner with Major Bludd and sometimes taking on Joes by himself. Of course, as most well played with figures from that era, he suffered from broken thumbs and busted heels. He even had a busted knee. I eventually gave him a set of 82 legs to give him green pants to go with his white shirt, but was stumped on arms. I ultimately settled on Red Dog's arms because the skin tone was close and, well, the ornamentation looked cool and fit the character. When I started painting figures as an adult, I revisited this old childhood friend and thought he would look cool if he once again had a solid, uniform colored outfit. I really loved the tan paint I had and thought he would look more "militant" in a khaki uniform, so I went with it. He turned out pretty great and became a staple in my Joeverse, once again helping Major Bludd perform dastardly deeds.

Another attempt at an original character, Vixen was born when I was looking at an old KayBee toy store for cheap fodder and found some video game figures marked way down. Even though they were 5 inch figures, the heads looked tiny on them. Knowing that the RAH aesthetic features a larger head, I took the chance that the head would look OK on an RAH body. I made the swap and thought it looked pretty cool. After frankensteining together a few female parts that looked good together, I decided to paint them all black to go with a black-ops motif. The results were pretty cool.

And the last figure for today, I'll showcase Sidewinder. This is entirely a Funskool Desert Scorpion figure. For those who don't remember, Smalljoes.com gained access to a bunch of Funskool stock in the early 2000s and sold them for pretty cheap. I picked up a handful of desert scorpions, having never had the US released figure. I was pretty pleased with the sculpt, but not so much with the paint (black in the desert, really?) So I set about coming up with new paint schemes for them. I went with a desert-colored, python patrol-esque pattern for this guy, and was pretty pleased with the result. He quickly became one of my favorite Cobra customs.

Also, here's some pics from my old dios. The scene here is that Firefly just infiltrated a Russian compound, stole some top secret stuff, and is making his escape...

Wowboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 121RVC on Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:17 pm

Dude, your Sidewinder is one of the reasons that got me into customizing!
When I first discovered Joecustoms I started a file into which I copied pics of all the inspiritional customs that I found from that very first day. Sidewinder is the first one, he's on top of that list! "sniff, sniff"
He still amazes me today. I love the outfit, perfect for a desert trooper. Best detail is the crosshair on the visor, very awesome.

Firefly's dio looks fantastic, do you have the complete story somewhere online? I'd love to see/read more!
Tim 121RVC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ucsf on Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:25 pm

This is amazing! Boy, these look pretty neat.

ucsf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LIVEVIL on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:22 pm

Hey! Twisted Evil

Congratulations on the good fortune you and your family have received up to this point.

It is so great seeing these customs again.

I always wanted to get my hands on that Remco guy that you used for The Sheik but I haven't had any luck as of yet but I'm still hopeful. I liked this very much. I so miss the days when we had several GI Joe-compatible toylines out.

Vixen is another one of those great examples where a head from a different scale fits well on a GI Joe body. I was most impressed by this when I first saw it so many years ago.

I too remember buying a number of those Funskool figures from smalljoes.com back in the day when they had them very cheap. Good times. Desert Scorpion had a great design and I hated how on the filecard it described them as unwilling soldiers and to be a Desert Scorpion is punishment for insubordination. Desert survival is harsh, difficult, and unforgiving but the right motivated individual can thrive and Sidewinder is obviously that guy, without question. The paintjob is very cool and like Tim 121RVC said, the crosshair on his visor is an awesome detail.

The dio sequence with Firefly is all kinds of cool. Firefly is the kind of bad guy who is good at what he does and loves it and it shows...
LIVEVIL

View user profile http://www.joecustoms.com/userops/profile.php?uid=12

Back to top Go down

Post by cyko on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:48 pm

Outstanding work on all of them! What I like most about Vixen is how you played with the parts so she isn't just a Scarlett, Lady Jaye, or Baroness repaint. The head worked out very well, too.
cyko
Admin

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/43512778@N07

Back to top Go down

Post by Wowboy on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:44 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Tim - That's incredible praise for Sidewinder. I really appreciate it. And no, my dios aren't currently online. I do have aspirations that will in all likelihood go unfulfilled to finally make that last chapter for the storyline. At one point, I had enough stories rolling around in my head for at least as many dio-stories as Justin of GeneralsJoes, but family and career obligations have a way of preventing that. I do have some shorter term dio ambitions that may evolve into finally completing that storyline. So, we'll just have to see.

Wowboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum