Introduction and possible plans

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Introduction and possible plans

Post by CoolBreeze on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:14 am

Hi there!

I'm a new member here, wanting to say "hi" and share a few thoughts and my Joe history.

I came back to Joe collecting recently and started signing up to the places I could remember. One of which was Joe Customs, as a friend of mine from about 15 years ago helped set it up.

Real life happened back then, stopping my collecting habits. Moving, a new partner, kids tends to take up time. This little blurb has already been posted on Joe Customs, but why not here as well for your convenience. Smile

So, I'm going on about this, that and the other at the JC site, including my love for ARAH and Rambo PM's me about this place. I've had a nice little chat with him via PM before finally posting here and he's filled me in on some of the bad times you've gone through. I won't name name's because it's not my intent to start anything negative, but suffice it to say I will be making sure I word things carefully when it comes to certain subjects (one of which is up next).

Like CopperBob I also have an interest in commissioning my own figures and was thinking it might be nice to share them if something actually happens. From what Rambo tell's me Krexx is a free agent, talented and honorable, so he sounds like a safe bet to get something of superior quality done.

If I do this I will do my best to update people in case there is interest. However, in light of the damage done to the community by certain individuals I may very well just commission figures for myself. My personal aim is to produce an end result of complete figures with either a completely new sculpt or some new parts. All done using high-end sculpted masters via injection molding. It's a learning process and real life may have a thing or two to say. We will see.

In the meantime it is my hope to support existing projects outside of the ones I might do. Including what CopperBob has planned and buying some from the likes of Angel Forge and RedLaserArmy (who seems to have actual old school plastic figures and not just resin parts, but I'm not certain. Any RLA customers feel free to educate me if I have got that wrong).

My apologies for the long post. There was a lot to say. Smile

CoolBreeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Introduction and possible plans

Post by Kwinn_Lives on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:03 pm

Welcome from a fellow relative newcomer! RedLaserArmy took over the business from The Black Major, who did produce real plastic figures of which I have a fair few, and they're quite good quality so if he follows up in the same way they should be very nice.
Kwinn_Lives

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyko on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:00 pm

Welcome aboard! I don't know if I'm one of the bad names, but I agree that selling custom O-ring figure parts can be a dicey business. On the other hand, Krexx is an extremely talented sculptor and easy to deal with, so if you decide to commission parts with him, you will be satisfied.
cyko
Admin

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/43512778@N07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo on Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:00 am

Welcome aboard Coolbreeze. Don't forget to share your customs with us.

Cyko you are on the list of GOOD names Smile

So far the bad names are Slayerdave and Veteran.

G.I. JOE ARAH DON'T DIE, IT JUST RELOADS
Rambo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolBreeze on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:56 pm

@Kwinn. Yes, I'm hoping RedLaserArmy will produce some good stuff. He's waiting until he's sold the rest of his old inventory though. Are you able to fit weapons in the old Black Major figures hands? Do the thumbs "give" without breaking?

@Cyko. No, you are not one of the bad names. Smile I'm only going on what Rambo told me. Since I'm new here (and to Joe in general) I didn't want to stir up trouble by naming names.

@Rambo. Thanks for the extra warm welcome! I've had some nice chats with CopperBob and Krexx already. Everyone seems very welcoming. I appreciate that.

CoolBreeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwinn_Lives on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:23 pm

CoolBreeze wrote:@Kwinn. Yes, I'm hoping RedLaserArmy will produce some good stuff. He's waiting until he's sold the rest of his old inventory though. Are you able to fit weapons in the old Black Major figures hands? Do the thumbs "give" without breaking?
Honestly I haven't tried many weapons with them. The ones they came work work fine, they're older ones (Cobra Officer and Cobra Soldier rifles) with quite thin handles, but I haven't really tried other weapons with them yet.
Kwinn_Lives

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolBreeze on Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:16 am

I always found the 1986 Dailtone gun to be a good test. It has a fairly wide handle but is smooth, so you have room to carefully move the thumb and see if it gives or not.

I remember my old v1 Storm Shadow had very brittle looking hands, yet the v1 Viper had plenty of give in them.

After a brief PM exchange it sounds like RedLasersArmy knows what he's talking about. He said the original Joes went through stages of about 3 different types of mixes for the plastic. From very brittle to something with more give, eventually ending with the completely rubbery type for the 1998 series.

I have high hopes for them and hope I will be able to get some this time.

Do you happen to have a list of what Black Major released?

CoolBreeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyko on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:41 am

Good to know I'm not in the "doghouse" yet! Smile And the Black Major figures are made of a slightly more rigid plastic, maybe even a bit more brittle than original '83 Troopers (but probably equally as brittle as South American figures like Cobra de Aço). Before putting a large handled gun like Dial Tone's or even some of the new Marauder Inc weapons, I'd carve down the handles. Some of the BM figures I bought new had stress marks at their thumbs, probably just from de-molding (like the ones with swivel Snake Eyes arms).

Here are some photos of all the Black Major figures by the very talented 00zcxvb at Flickr:
Cobra Troopers
Crimson Guards
BATs
Cobra de Aço (same bodies as "Terror Troopers", just different heads)
cyko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolBreeze on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:05 pm

There is something to be said for seeing large groups of troops in pics like that. I am awestruck by 00zcxvb and his collection. In particular the vac-metalized silver and gold BAT's. Were they something the Black Major sold or did 00zcvb create them himself?

I've heard of kits you can buy to add a chrome-like mirror finish to cell phone covers and other things. I'm not sure if that's what he's done here.

Either way, thank you for these great pics. Also for sharing your know-how of the Black Major figures (i.e. thumbs, type of plastic).

CoolBreeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyko on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:48 pm

I'm a big fan of the Black Major figures. It helps to have realistic expectations about them. The vac-metal parts were all BM created in a factory in China, originally for Cobra de Aço. I read a review once about the different silver-leaf and home-chrome kits available, and they offer different results. Nothing quite like vac-metal, but I think that's toxic, which is why Hasbro stopped using it (e.g. 50th Destro's head is just painted).

00zxcvb's expertise is RIT-dying figures. If you click through his Flickr photostream, you'll see all kinds of custom figures, even some RIT-dyed SNAKE armors!
cyko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolBreeze on Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:05 pm

cyko wrote:The vac-metal parts were all BM created in a factory in China, originally for Cobra de Aço. I read a review once about the different silver-leaf and home-chrome kits available, and they offer different results. Nothing quite like vac-metal, but I think that's toxic, which is why Hasbro stopped using it (e.g. 50th Destro's head is just painted).

Time for some newbie questions:

What is "BM"?
Were those two BAT's the only ones or are there more (with other collectors)?
Is this RIT dying process easy to do and does it give an even color to the parts?
Why hasn't anyone else done this and offered "professional" quality figures?
Is RIT dying better than vinyl spray?

CoolBreeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwinn_Lives on Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:37 pm

CoolBreeze wrote:What is "BM"?
In this context, Black Major.
Kwinn_Lives

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyko on Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:02 pm

CoolBreeze wrote:What is "BM"?
Were those two BAT's the only ones or are there more (with other collectors)?
Is this RIT dying process easy to do and does it give an even color to the parts?
Why hasn't anyone else done this and offered "professional" quality figures?
Is RIT dying better than vinyl spray?
Yeah, "BM" is Black Major, and do you mean SNAKE instead of the "two BATs"? 00zxcvb has done a few on commission, but the RIT process is very time-consuming (which becomes costly). I give him praise because he gets consistent results and even coverage, but when I tried it, I spent a whole afternoon and barely changed the shade of the figure. Not really "professional", either; the finish of the figure is different (less shiny). Also, RIT has adjusted their dye recipe and it doesn't work as well. But if you want to try, here are two tutorials on RIT dying from JoeCustoms:

• Raptor's guide
  • Viperlord's guide

Vinyl spray, or even just spray paint or an airbrush, is probably the most reliable method for vehicles and playsets.
cyko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top