Projects ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Projects ?

Post by Wowboy on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:59 pm

While I'm as enthusiastic as the next guy to have the opportunity to finally get ahold of that Cobra Sniper and the possibility of getting some additional classic style joes, I wonder if it would be beneficial to try and commision some simpler products that might have wider appeal?

For example, maybe a neck piece that had the lower ball joint of a classic RAH ball joint and the upper ball joint of a modern era figure (or get fancy with an upper neck hinge like some super hero figures.)

Perhaps maybe a set of RAH style hands molded with pegs to easily give a figure swivel wrists?

Maybe some blank torsos?

It might be easier doing simple parts rather than commissioning elaborate sculpts.

Wowboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Projects ?

Post by Rambo on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:02 pm

I am with you. I want a pair of ARAH hands that can hold accesories better and that are swivel ready.

THe neck could be useful if we find modern heads in ARAH scale.

G.I. JOE ARAH DON'T DIE, IT JUST RELOADS
Rambo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wowboy on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:52 pm

While having the option to use a modern head on an RAH figure by using the aforementioned "adapter" style piece would be nice, I think it would be even more useful as a means of easily swapping helmeted and non helmeted RAH style heads that have been properly dremeled without having to take the figure apart.

Modern era heads rarely look right on vintage figures.

Last edited by Wowboy on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wowboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:07 am

Interesting. Could you give some examples of that?

Rambo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wowboy on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:55 pm

I don't have any pictures or figures to photograph handy, but I can describe an example.

Say you have a Barbecue figure. If you want an unhelmeted Barbecue, you need to unscrew the backscrew, take the torso apart, and swap the head with a regular, unhelmeted head. To make him helmeted again, you do the same process and give him his original head.

This isn't especially difficult, but doing it over and over again to pose the figure both helmeted and unhelmeted in dio scenes or just for play can result in weakening the threads that the screw grips onto in the back and there is always the risk of getting the screw too tight and causing the plastic in the chest to "blemish."

However, using an "adapter" like I previously described means that heads could be swapped on a vintage figure as easily as a ME figure. All you have to do is take the time to dremel both the heads and they can be popped on and off with ease.

Wowboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:02 pm

I got the idea. Thx.

Rambo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwinn_Lives on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:42 pm

Wowboy wrote:Say you have a Barbecue figure. If you want an unhelmeted Barbecue, you need to unscrew the backscrew,
It's an interesting idea, I think most customizers would just solve the problem by having two Barbecues - one helmeted, one not.
Kwinn_Lives

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyko on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:31 pm

Wowboy wrote:While I'm as enthusiastic as the next guy to have the opportunity to finally get ahold of that Cobra Sniper and the possibility of getting some additional classic style joes, I wonder if it would be beneficial to try and commision some simpler products that might have wider appeal?

For example, maybe a neck piece that had the lower ball joint of a classic RAH ball joint and the upper ball joint of a modern era figure (or get fancy with an upper neck hinge like some super hero figures.)

Perhaps maybe a set of RAH style hands molded with pegs to easily give a figure swivel wrists?

Maybe some blank torsos?

It might be easier doing simple parts rather than commissioning elaborate sculpts.

All great ideas! We've done a female blank torso, and I think Rambo and a couple of others made use of it. But you've got to be comfortable sculpting to get the most out of a piece like that.

The neck adapter has been discussed, too, but O-ring torsos aren't consistent enough that it would work every time. For example, the '85 TeleViper neck is very deep, but if you adjust a neck adapter for that torso, it would look too tall on another torso with a shallow neck socket. There's a possibility for a "let's just try it" that might fit a few torsos, but then there's the issue of tiny "modern" heads. O-ring figures often had a "bobbleheaded" look that we're used to, and newer figures' heads may look too small. Some would certainly work, while others would look too tiny. I'll bet we come to a consensus at some point and go for it, though.
cyko
Admin

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/43512778@N07

Back to top Go down

Post by Wowboy on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:55 pm

For the female blank torso... is that the one on Angel Forge? Also, Could you guys direct me to the pieces on Angel Forge that are RAH style pieces and not more JvC era pieces? I noticed some of the torsos had the deeper shoulder sockets common to the JvC era and it made me hesitant to pull the trigger on other pieces.

And for the neckball adapter... I hadn't thought about the neck depth issue. But you're right, while most figures are fairly standard, there are enough that aren't that would pose a problem. One solution would be to have the piece casted in two parts so the neck portion could be trimmed to size. Not sure how much of an advantage that would be over doing it yourself.

Wowboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyko on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:23 am

Rambo & Wizgillar posted some great reviews and details about some of the O-ring parts they got at Angel Forge in this thread. Some of the parts look ready to use while others might be New Sculpt-based and will take some effort to work with ARAH era parts.

Here are links to the Female blank kit and the Iron Grenadier sniper head. The IG neck is a little bit long but looks good on a torso with shoulder pads.
cyko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by copperbob on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:01 pm

I agree with Cykos concerns They all are great Ideas Wowboy but also have problems that go with them,
If a member doesnt know how to sculpt blank torsos are not going to help them much, I also dont see much difference than using a Jinx or Salvo/Outback torso which are pretty close to blank female and male torsos.
Neck adapters are a good idea too but I agree on the neck depth issue and the smaller size of the new style heads compared to ARAH heads. Ive already tried this by modding a ARAH neck post to a ME style head and most just look to small. Besides not every member may have access to a dremel to drill out the heads.
I think the appeal of the so called elaborate sculpts as you put it is that the average member can buy the parts they want and make a unmade or new figure by just adding some paint.

copperbob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:26 pm

Looks like the hands are the most suitable Smile

Rambo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wowboy on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:33 pm

Rambo wrote:Looks like the hands are the most suitable Smile

Aye... I hadn't thought about some of the drawbacks to the other pieces.

But yeah, a simple RAH set of hands with a peg attached that can be easily mounted into a wrist that has had a hole drilled into it would be a pretty versatile piece that anyone should be able to use. Drilling a simple hole in an arm is much easier than hollowing out a head for mounting on a modern style neckball.

Another question... a few years ago I worked out some designs for RAH style arms that has built in "rivets" ... ie, they just snapped in place. Now that I have more free time, I've been messing with 3d digital art software to get a model that could be used in Shapeways. I figure if I can print off a few "blanks" I can sculpt some details on them to make some nice new arms to be used in customs.

Would anyone be interested in something like that or would it violate the pure RAH aesthetic?

Wowboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwinn_Lives on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Wowboy wrote:Would anyone be interested in something like that or would it violate the pure RAH aesthetic?
That sounds interesting to me, I'm not a "purist" in any sense, so close enough is just fine by me.
Kwinn_Lives

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyko on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:46 pm

Wowboy wrote:Another question... a few years ago I worked out some designs for RAH style arms that has built in "rivets" ... ie, they just snapped in place. Now that I have more free time, I've been messing with 3d digital art software to get a model that could be used in Shapeways. I figure if I can print off a few "blanks" I can sculpt some details on them to make some nice new arms to be used in customs.

Would anyone be interested in something like that or would it violate the pure RAH aesthetic?
This is an excellent idea that sounds odd at first, but done well, can dodge the rivet problem completely and make painting arms much easier! Slayer Dave's prototype Pythona & Cobra Sniper figures had this feature, and supposedly, you could heat the parts, then just snap them together. There used to be a cellphone video of this process, but it's gone now. Still, it did work, and it looked just like the ARAH figures we all love!

Last edited by cyko on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
cyko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambo on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:22 pm

I dont see a problem. Could you share some pics?

Rambo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wowboy on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:28 pm

Stay tuned...

I've started collaborating with a 3d modeler. I've been trying to use Blender for the last few months for various other projects and all I've learned is that I suck at 3d modelling and don't have the large blocks of time needed to devote to getting better at it. But, I really wanted to get a prototype done pretty soon.

Wowboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ucsf on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:44 pm

This project is really coming up strong. Can't wait to get some updates.

ucsf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top